Where to use this Descaling technique?
In the last article, we saw what are the possible benefits to the user by using the Scale removal technology. We also saw various headings under which one can work out a payback.
In this article, which will be a concluding article on this topic, we will see what are the application areas for this technology & also see some facts about usage of this technology.
What are potential applications?
This technology can be used on many applications such as:
- Cooling tower circuits
- Heat exchangers
- Boiler feed water circuits
- Potable water lines (Irrigation/water supply lines to Towns/cities)
- Chilled water circuits
- Sea water cooling circuits
Which industries can benefit?
Almost all industries use water for their process, as utility & for other purposes. For simplicity, we are putting a few industries here, but the applications are not limited to these industries & encompass practically all industries that use water for heating or cooling purpose. Some of the important industries include:
- Power plants
- Petrochemical & Refinery
- Chemical manufacturing
- Oil & Gas
- Waste water
- All process boilers (small & medium size)
This technology was tried out at one of the chemical manufacturing company in western India. The Scale removal unit was installed at the outlet of the cooling tower at the water distribution line that served the heat exchangers. The unit was put on trial for around one month.
These were some of the observations :
1) The temperature difference across their heat exchangers increased by 2 to 3 times. This meant, efficiency of heat exchange was improved dramatically. This heat exchanger was a drier for one of their process. Due to this improvement in heat exchange, the process throughput also improved
2) There was increase in TDS value at the cooling water sump initially & later it got reduced & stabilized. This was a clear indication that the existing scale got removed initially resulting in increase in TDS value & later it got stabilized, once this scaling was removed
3) The scaling that used to take place earlier was like a hard rock, making it difficult to be removed during shutdown maintenance. After using the Scale removal technology , it was found that :
(a) Lot of scale was removed, and
(b) Remaining scale had become so brittle that the user could remove this scale by just shaking the heat exchanger coils after they opened it & by cleaning the same with high pressure water jet. A great reduction in downtime for maintenance, in turn improving the uptime for production
Some of the facts about this technology:
1) This technology works well wherever there are hardness issues in the water & softening chemicals are being used for treating the water. With this technology, there is no need for using softening chemicals
2) The scale removal technology cannot be used in hazardous areas & needs to be installed in safe area only
3) There is no recurring cost like costly chemicals. The only cost incurred is for electricity. The unit runs on single phase, ac power supply with a very small power consumption
4) This technology not only removes existing scaling in pipelines & heat exchangers, but also completely prevents any fresh scaling from occuring
This was a concluding article on Scale removal Technology. In the next article, we will discuss one more new idea, ‘The FAD measurement for compressors’