In 1698, a military engineer Thomas Savery secured a patent for a pump operated using steam. This pump, named ‘Miner’s Friend’ was designed to pump the water out of the mines. The model consisted of a boiling chamber. A pipe with a non-return valve descended into the water that needed to be removed. Cold water was poured over the steam chamber which resulted in condensation of steam inside the chamber. This vacuum drew up the water from below. A non-return valve was used to ensure that the sucked water did not fall back. Unfortunately, the engine could not become successful as it had many limitations.
Firstly, it was able to lift water to a maximum height of 10 meters. This requires installing multiple pumps to lift the water to larger heights, which was practically not feasible. The heating and cooling of the chamber was done manually, making it quite difficult to operate the pump. As a result, this machine was sold mostly to private estates for draining the excess water and circulating it in the gardens.