Series of Good Engineering Practices can be adopted to avoid Water Hammer in Steam Distribution System. These are —
- Installation of drain traps with correctly sized drain pockets at desired locations in the piping.
- Use of eccentric reducers in steam piping.
- Take steam tappings only from top of the distribution lines.
- Install an additional trap set on the steam lead line to Process Equipment i.e. the Drop Leg.
- Provide a slope of about 2-3 mm/Mtr on the steam distribution lines in the direction of the steam flow.
- Ensure that the insulation is effective in keeping radiation losses to a minimum.
- Avoid sagging of steam distribution pipelines by providing supports at required intervals.